I was working for my mother at the warehouse today. The job is very simple, just obtain a sticker from the sheet of stickers and paste it on the bottle. It is a really brainless job because you just repeat the same thing over and over again for thousands of times. I am absolutely not exaggerating about the numbers.
The only thing that is probably worth mentioning about this job is the constant race against time, and within that, the competition among workers. In order to keep a job, one has to be better at it than others and in this case, one must be able to handle the enormous amount of stress and at the same time, work like a machine.
I was minding my own business, trying to concentrate on increasing my speed when my Mum brought my attention to the person next to us. We started at the same time but she has done one and half times more bottles than me. Annoyed and puzzled, I asked my Mum, 'Is she fast or am I slow?' My Mum looked at me strangely and replied,' Aren't they the same thing?!'
This is where the problem arise. They do not mean the same thing, do they?
If she is fast, then I should not be bothered by her speed because she probably has been in this line forever and her practice and experience would have given her the extra advantage over newbies like me. However, if I am slow, I will have to think of ways to speed up so that the team's progress will not be hindered by my speed, or the lack of it.
Taking the question literally, I do sound like a retard but what bothers me more is that most people don't understand half the things I am trying to get across! Even my own mother!
No comments:
Post a Comment