Thursday, 3 January 2013

What you say and what others hear

It is amazing. How you can say one thing and another understands it to be a completely different thing.

I was discussing about my future job with my mother after dinner. I am not 100% sure, but I may join the police force. That is okay with her, but I think she wants me to get a job that pays better.

First misunderstanding.
What I said: It will be very difficult, possible even impossible, to reach the top position of the police force, espcially when I'm a female.
What she heard: I will never get promoted and will always remain at the bottom. (and so will my paycheck)

Second misunderstading.
What I said: Money is not everything.
What she heard: Money is nothing.

It is truly unbelieveable what she can make out of what I'm saying. I'm not saying that I will never get promoted, I'm just saying probably not to the highest position, and I'm not saying that money is not an important factor, I'm just saying that it should not and is not the only factor to consider when I choose my career.

There was a period of time when she and my Aunt managed to convinve me that money is the only important consideration. That I just find a job that I dont hate and pays good money. Once I have money, I can pursue my interests and passion in my free time. They said careeer and interests ought to be different things, and only a handful v lucky people can get to do a job they really like and get paid for it. I believed them. Then someday, I think after a convo with a friend, I realised it need not be this way. Coming from a not very well-to-do family, I do recognise that the importance of money, not just for survivial, but for indulgence as well. Of course, I will love to earn lotsa money, but that is not going to be the main priority. I need more than just money to lead my life, I need challenges, new experiences, a sense of satisfaction, meaning, I need to be a part of something bigger. I cant just live for myself, or just my family. And, my mum, the adults who are bribed over by money, they just cant understand. They have been made cold and hard my money, and I have no wish to become like that.

But I guess thats what happens when you have to foot a pile of bills every month. Maybe even have to worry to make ends meet and try not to show it. 

Please, dont let become like that. Oh, in order to not become like that, I need to have lots of money right.

Damn this shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment