Saturday, 8 December 2012

First time working

I worked for the first time on my own yesterday as a waitress. People tell me that waitressing is tough job, but I guess I gotta try it for myself heh. It is indeed tough, on the legs, especially if you're wearing a new pair of black flats from Rubi, which practically has no sole. I'm considering investing in a more comfy pair of flats, since I might be on this job for a while, intro anyone?

After I changed into a too big and purple top with black pants, along with 2 friends we followed the guy in charge, Ant, turning here and there, corridors after corridors into a storage room full of metal cupboards and glass trays. We placed our bags on top of one of the huge metal shelves and set off to work.

Everyone seemed to know which ballroom they belonged to and what they ought to do the moment they got there. I just followed Ant, walking to and for, until he assigned me to this Auntie, whom I think thought that I was a nuisance. We were supposed to pour ice water into the glasses. Everyone in the ballroom had a jug, except me. When I asked where can I get one, the Auntie told me to check to bar, like I really know the place and where everything was placed. So, the beginning hour was me feeling terribly lost, useless and unwanted. Okay, I might have exaggerated a little.

Slowly, people started coming in, and I gotta serve drinks. Now, it's not as simple as it sounds. I had to balance several glasses of beverages on a tray that I have never held in my life. It just didnt fit comfortably on my arm. Walking took some effort, mainly making sure the drinks do not spill and the glasses do not vibrate too loudly when I try to walk gracefully and confidently to the guests. Then, I had to attract attention. I had to find a way to make the guests notice me in between greetings, hugs and kisses and exchanging of namecards. And, I cant quite interrupt them, that would be quite rude. Plus, this in on top of the fact that I am quite an awkward person, who kinda stumble over my words when Im nervous and a bit hard on hearing. Truly great training for my social skills.

The worst part of the night is over. Following, I just had to get the timing right to collect the plates, such that I dont interrupt the guests and I clear the plates quickly. And dont spill or drop anything and guests and keep walking around to look busy HAHA

My co-workers are generally friendly people when we start working. They taught me the little tricks that makes life a bit easier and constantly asked if I am okay. More importantly, they were very tolerant of my abundance of questions, which I am very grateful for. Then there is this guy in his late 20s early 30s, who is very talkative, and overly nice to me. He is a cook from the other ballroom and he whipped up some pasta for me, only. Which is nice, I mean who doesnt like good food. He asked for my FB... and I gave........ (No comments to myself.) Then I got reminded of Tess Durbeyfield. Hm. Maybe I think too much like I always do. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment